Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo



National Novel Writing Month. It started today. I signed up for it. Rather obviously, dear one, it's a challenge to write a novel in a month. Hence the name. I know! How clever is that?


It's not really a whole novel. It's 50,000 words. Okay, it could be a short novel. But it's an interesting challenge. It works out to be 1,667 words per day, a little under seven pages if one uses Courier 12 font.


Unless one is a dialogue whore in her writing. Ahem.


C'est moi.


Anyway, it's a fair chunk per day. It's not easy. It's especially not easy on days that I work 12+ hours, and arrive at the workplace 1.5 hours before my shift starts because I care about the planet and I carpool. And they give you a bit of money if you carpool. Not tons. But a bit.


Curse my greed and/or conscience!!!


In theory, I could write almost 1,667 words before starting my workday. If I were a faster writer. And a morning person. I gave it a shot today. 432 words.


Yeah.


So all I have to do is quadruple that. No problem!


I don't tell you this to whine--okay, not just to whine. Whining, after all, is as much an art form as bitching and complaining. And by-the-bye, I've never understood it when people say in response to a query of their well-being, "Oh, I can't complain!" Really? You can't? Mm. You're just not trying hard enough, then. I can always complain. But then, that is one of my gifts.


Wait, this wasn't my point. What was my point...oh, yes. The reason I'm telling you about this challenge. Well.


Well.


This month might not be the bloggorific experience we all might wish to have, darling invisible friend. I shall do my level best to blog, and fer chrissakes, to blog about something besides this delightful challenge.


But please forgive me if this isn't the case. It is, after all, my latest obsession.


How long could it possibly last?

2 comments:

  1. Ahem, maybe I should ask you to post your daily totals here, too. Hmmm. Would that work for you?

    It would work for me. Mwah.

    1027 and I'm still going because, damn, I will make 1667 tonight, before midnight. After that, I'm liable to turn into a troll.

    From a non morning person to you, you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock on.
    Sometimes I think my life would be easier if I were genuinely a masochist. "Oooh, a dozen cases to brief in one evening? Yay! And I get to do it all over again tomorrow night? Yippee!"
    Love the pain; it's a good kind of hurt.

    ReplyDelete