Tuesday, February 22, 2011

In continuation

Okay, remember yesterday when I told you about the forward I got from Carole? Sigh. Fine, take a minute, scroll down.

Yes, that forward! I really enjoyed reading the list of Pretty Darn True Things, which included the following:

1. I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

Heh. Yeah. [innocent humming]

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

I hate this. I know there are a few people who have never experienced this and are now rolling their eyes. [See! You just did it!]

3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

Oh, number 3...yes, number 3 is very true. True to the bones of true. I love to nap. I see naps as one of the greatest luxuries of the world. And I'm always mildly puzzled by those who cannot nap. The Extremely Nice Person who sent me flowers and chocolate on Valentine's Day says he doesn't know how to nap. A nap tutorial was discussed.

Stop it. I'm sure he didn't mean that. Sheesh.

One thing on the list I don't feel speaks to me is:

5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

See, I know how to fold a fitted sheet. I do, too. My grandmother taught me. It's really not that hard, although I'm still surprised that my friends made me show off this skill at a party once.

No, they did. Okay, this is what happened. Yes, it is going to be a long one. Aren't they always? Well, hurry up, then. I'll wait.

Better? Good.

I was housesitting for a couple who went on an extended trip to France. While I was there, I found an enormous hidden cache of dirty laundry, as neither of them were very into doing the wash. I figured they wouldn't want to come home from a long trip and have to deal with that, so I did the laundry.

Because I do that. When I'm housesitting, I try to make the house as nice as possible for the people who are returning. The house is clean, of course. Fresh linens on the bed. Fresh towels in the bathroom. And if I can manage it, there's a meal ready to go in the fridge and flowers on the table. I figure that most people want to come home, drop their bags and collapse. Then they want to eat, but nobody wants to cook and God in heaven, they are "sick of restaurant food and I am not getting dressed up again to go out, and no, I don't want pizza!"

It's just nice to have stuff done when you come home. What? Well, I don't know if I can housesit for you. Let me check my schedule.

Anyway. My friends were very excited to find all of this upon their return and mentioned it again at a party later that summer. Other friends at the party scoffed when the folded fitted sheets were mentioned, saying that this could not be done. Naturally, a fitted sheet was pulled from the linen closet and I was asked/commanded/begged to demonstrate. [cue excited chatter, ooohs and aaaahs, smatterings of applause]

Aren't you sorry you missed that party?

Of course, these were the same people who would put on a scary movie, just so they could be entertained by my reactions to scary movies. [Yes, I scream. And hide behind a blanket. Or pillow. Or complete stranger sitting next to me in the movie theater.] It is entirely possible that this was merely their poking fun at my expense. Hmm.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

1 comment:

  1. Nap! Mental health break. I'm there. Wait? Not now? Darn.

    Fitted sheets are easy to fold as long as I don't rush the process. Who me? Rush. You may laugh now.

    Any more truisms lurking?

    ReplyDelete