Saturday, September 17, 2011

Day Two

Roommate texted me when she returned to camp today. See, when people do the 3-Day Walk, most of them stay in the camp overnight. Picture it...thousands of tiny pink tents in rows, flanked by Porta-Potties and peppered with people who have just spent the day walking a greater distance than most Americans walk in a year. Yeah. It's just that great.

Anyway. She's tired and her feet are blistered, but she still sounds great. Perky, almost, considering that Roommate is not a perky person. Not that she isn't generally good-natured, she just isn't terribly emotive.

No, I don't have any idea how we ended up friends. I think she felt sorry for me.

But that doesn't matter. What matters right now, is Roommate. She's probably sleeping off the last two days of 20+ miles of walking. Bless her heart.

Tomorrow is the last day and I'll pick up Roommate at the closing ceremony. I will have a huge steaming cup of hot chocolate for her, since the weather changed and she's spent the last two days shivering, and I'll also bring her a king-sized Snickers bar. She's earned it. Bless her heart.

Tomorrow, she'll be done with her walk. But the women who are fighting breast cancer, who are fighting for their lives, continue with their walk.

Bless their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment