Friday, December 16, 2011

Calling it a day.

Well. It's over.

We all knew it was coming. Very Nice Person knew it, too, and was just waiting for me to say it. Actually, I think VNP wanted me to say it and has been hoping I would end things sooner, rather than later. Yes, dearest, he is still VNP, despite this last visit. I can forgive him for being not-VNP-ish for a few days. But I knew it was time to let him go.

I called him yesterday afternoon, when I was home alone, so the conversation wouldn't be interrupted--at least on my end. With VNP, one never knows when work will interrupt, one only know that it will interrupt. Fortunately, we got through the conversation nearly interruption-free.

I can't remember the last time that happened.

Anyway. I think you'd be quite proud of me, dearest. I introduced the topic calmly and kindly. I didn't assign blame. I recognized and respected the tremendous amount of responsibility VNP has on his plate. And I took ownership of my feelings. It was almost like breaking up with a therapist, only without the insurance paperwork and final bill. While I don't think I hit the gold standard of Best Breakup EVER, I think I handled it pretty well.

And we agreed to be friends. In fact, he sent me a text today, wishing me a happy Friday, to his "friend in the NW." I'm delighted we could end things and be cordial, and wish each other well.

Sigh. Done. Over. After almost a year, je suis fini. And now, in the immortal words of my friend Trish...

....NEXT!

No comments:

Post a Comment