Monday, January 16, 2012

Saturday

This past Saturday, Roommate had the sad task of attending her stepgrandfather's funeral; she kindly released me from accompanying her. I will admit to vast and encompassing relief, dear one, as I did not want to attend. It wasn't just my desire not to spend time with Roommate's Unfortunate Sister, who had decided not to attend, either. As she informed Roommate's mother, she had "done" her grieving and did not wish to grieve any longer.

It was, after all, all about Unfortunate Sister. Gramma would just have to suck it up and deal.

But I was still happy to have most of the day to myself, hideously selfish creature that I am. One might be forgiven for comparing me to Roommate's Unfortunate Sister. Other than the fact that I'm not actually related to Stepgrandpa. Or Gramma. Nor did I caterwaul and fling myself about to demostrate my enormous sense of loss at Stepgrandpa's passing.

But that's neither here nor there, is it?

So my Saturday was spent at home. Please allow me to reassure you, dearest, the the beagles of the household were able to rest sufficiently.

I know. It's a weight off the mind, isn't it? Don't they look exhausted? The terrier-ist, HRHTM, was unable to get quite as much sleep because she was watching the weather very closely. At first, I thought she was just staring at the Andy Warhol-esque picture of herself that Auntie Carole made for her, but I realized quickly that she was watching...
...snow.


Yes, it is that time of year again for the Greater Seattle Area. Time to race to the stores and buy out bread, milk, eggs and toilet paper. Time to freak out and cancel all appointments. Time to cause major traffic delays and freeway congestion.


To be fair, the traffic stuff happens whenever there's a Mariners games, too. Or a Seahawks game. Or anything UW-sports related. Or sunshine, that big, scary ball of fire in sky. Or rain, because, you know we don't usually get that here.


Yeah. Seattle traffic. No wonder there's so much heroin use in the place.


But the snow was pretty!

And it fell pretty fast. This was only an hour or so later.


When one considers how little snow we actually see every year, it's pretty impressive. For us. Not for people with real weather. Those people are too busy laughing hysterically right now as Seattle people prepare for "Snowmaggedon."


Snort.


But that was my Saturday. Snow falling outside, dogs snoozing inside. Four televised hockey games on in a single day and cookies baking in the oven.


Screw the beer commercials. It doesn't get much better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment