Sunday, June 20, 2010

Back to the oven.

Well, my dear invisible reader, it's been an interesting week. I received a lot of email from people who read my last post and may I say, bless you all. It's just lovely to have good friends in the world. And a particular thank you to those who comment on my blogs; you delight me beyond reason.

This time, I want to stick to a less inflammatory topic: Baking. At least, it ought to be inflammatory. Word to the wise. If you are baking and something is on fire, and it's not the gas burner on your stove, something is very, very wrong. Generally speaking, fire + baking = BAD.

Feel free to make a note of that.

But let's move on. As some of the population of the planet knows, I did the 3-Day Walk for breast cancer last year. I say some of the population because when I attempted to walk sixty freaking miles in three measly days, I complained about. Oh yes, I did. I looked around on my first day, about an hour in and said, in my soft and dulcet tones,

"WHAT WAS I THINKING??????"

No one had a really good answer for me. Oh sure, "You're doing this to save lives" was pretty good, but at the time I was a biscuit shy of three hundred pounds and 300 pounds + 60 miles/3 days = AGONY.

In case you wanted to see the math.

But I digress. No, I didn't think you'd be surprised, but you didn't have to say so. Hmph.

ANYWAY. One of the things I did to raise money was bake cakes. I called it "Cakes For The Cure," and when someone would ask me for a cake or baked good, I would oblige and said person would make a donation to the 3-Day Walk in my name. I got my baking jones satisfied, they got cake and a tax deduction, the breast cancer fund got a little bit bigger. Good stuff, all the way around.

The roommate is doing the walk again this year. What was that? I? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I learned my lesson. No. I will drive her to the starting point. I will pick her up. I will cheer for her. I will even donate. But I am not doing that walk again. At least...not this year. Shut up.

And for the roommate, I will bake cakes and have people donate. I know. I know. I'm a peach, I tell you. The most recent of these cakes was a "dirt" cake for the young son of a coworker of hers. Chocolate cake soaked in caramel, topped in crushed Oreos. The ones with the chocolate filling. Then gummy worms inserted into the cake. I should have found marzipan bugs, too, but I ran out of time. Ah, well.

The roommate sent me a text this morning to let me know that the cake was well received. She wrote that her coworker said they all loved the cake. And all the worms were gone.

I think I'm going to put that on my resume.

[Donations for the roommate can be made at the3day.org. Her team name is (wait for it) The Ta-ta-liscious Walkers, and she is team captain. I know. I voted for "The Blister Pack."]

3 comments:

  1. I love that you have a blog! You are my new addiction! Pre-preggo I couldn't have cared less about chocolate. Post-preggo I'd knock over little kids to get to the chocolate cake soaked in caramel.... Good luck with the cake baking.
    Love you! becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Ta-ta-liscious Walkers!!! Yummmm, and that pineapple upside down cake...i'm dreaming of it....that dirt cake sounds awesome as well! and yes, you MUST add that to your resume!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, personally, want to know what you caught on fire while baking. ;-)

    ReplyDelete